Monday, January 17, 2011

Since my last post I've read 330 more pages of Gone with the Wind, putting me at page 550 out of 1448 pages. What a book. So many things have happened within the last 330 pages I don't even know what to make my main focus. I'm particularly fascinated by the relationship between Scarlett and Rhett Butler, and as much as I dislike Scarlett as an individual character, I do like the idea of them together. They are essentially the same person except Scarlett tries to mask her ulterior motives and Rhett glorifies his.

For instance, there are numerous times throughout the text when some news about Ashley will arrive from the war, and Scarlett will have a severely emotional reaction because she's still "in love" with him. While these are happening, she lets Melanie keep assuming that she's still mourning over Charles's death when, in reality, she barely even remembers that they were married.

Rhett, on the other hand, is as blunt as they come. When I first started reading about Rhett I thought he just really didn't give a ****, but the more I become acquainted with him the more I think he really does care what people think about him. He needs to be the center of attention or he's a nobody. He's definitely not a gentlemen, and if not that than what? No, instead he uses his vanity to give himself power within the society of the South. By making himself into a spectacle he's still able to stay in the public eye even after he's been outcast by them.

Something else I find worth mentioning is the idea of what it means to be both a "lady" and a "gentleman" in Southern society before and during the civil war. The book goes in detail about certain acts, gestures, phrases, etc... that go into composing yourself into a lady or a gentleman. One of my favorites is what Ellen tells Scarlett to say when responding to marriage proposals: "Mr.______, I am not unaware of the honor you have bestowed on me in wanting me to become your wife, but this is all so sudden that I do not know what to say" (Mitchell 150). I want to expand on this, but not now. Maybe at a later date.

In terms of music, I'm in love with Laura Nyro. Wow. She is amazing.


and someone painted this amazing picture of her:

Classes start tomorrow, so hopefully I'll start having a flood of intelligent thoughts flow through my brain into my blog lol. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment